Monday 15 October 2012

BLADE RUNNER, DIRECTOR'S CUT; Carlisle's Final Word.

"I need ya, Decks. This is a bad one, the worst yet. I need the old blade runner, I need your magic."
Bryant.
 
 
 
Script Logic; 1/2
 
Pace; 1/2
Acting; 2/2
Aesthetic; 2/2
Originality & Intention; 2/2
Score; 8/10
 


Final Word; ...
 
Another example of when this review template throws you a curve- ball. Yes the acting, the effects, and the world-building are all top-notch, but I really didn’t enjoy this film, and I realise (once again) that puts me in a minority. I found the film to be alienating and dull, which is strange in itself if you consider I’m a sucker for a good sci-fi, or a thoughtful film. Perhap's I'd feel more warmth if the film had retained it's laconic voice over- which leads onto the subject of all the different cuts there are of this film flying about these days... Honestly, how different can a film be for just a few different moments cut or included here-and-there? Surely it's the same overall experiance? It's like saying your whole holiday would have been a different if only you'd packed the red beach towle and not the blue, or saying "if only the water slide had another bend in it- that would have been soooooo much better!" You get either the same tan, or the same final splash, respectively.
Still, no denying Bladerunner's influence on almost every science fiction movie that followed it (another feather in the cap of Ridley Scott), so I guess it earns its points despite my reservations. Just goes to show you, a ‘good’ film isn’t always an ‘enjoyable’ one, and that even I have difficulty defending my preferences before the hard cold stare of logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment