Sunday 12 May 2013

"YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW!"

Ygritte (Game Of Thrones, season 2).


Pedigree Chum have finally rethought their advertising.






So, it would seem the Games Of Thrones addiction wasn't quite as well 'kicked' as I'd earlier hoped...


Alright then, let it never be said I won't admit when I'm wrong (although, in my defense, that is unusual). I may not have been totally correct in my last post on Game Of Thrones, but see that I'm not removing the post completely and licking my wounds in secret, I'm far too honest for that, and besides which, it's the only fucking post on here that got any real replies!
I was told once, by a wiser man than myself, that if I wanted people to take the time to reply that I should write something controversial, and I guess he was right... Either that, or the silence of my other posts can be interpenetrated as 'tacit agreement'?

I'm getting slightly off topic.

Firstly, some of the information in the last post was incorrect. SPOILERS AHEAD: Jon Snow is attacked, but it's uncertain if he died, and Gundry, the former King's bastard, is not killed (as yet). Poor research on my part, but whoever knew that the web contained so much misinformation? As such, narratively speaking it holds up better for this and becomes less of a one-trick pony.
However, many of my old gripes remain: there are far too many characters, plots and sub plots struggling for screen time- meaning that jarringly the most interesting threads are forced to share screen time with narrative 'fluff'. These extra characters (introduced as the seasons continue, even as late as season 3) have to work much harder to gain a viewer's interest as they could initially be seen as an annoyance; more names, history and subplots to pad out the episode- all the while, less and less actually happens to the characters you care about.

"Brotherhood Without Banners? Fuck off, I want to see more of Jamie and Brienne."

Honestly, consider season 2 a moment. If you have a favorite character, remind yourself of what they actually went through in that time? You'd except that with over 9 hours of TV that you'd be left with quite a story, right? Wrong. I bet 9 in 10 characters actually did very little, they just did 'very little' over a very long time...

Still, on the whole, I'll admit Game Of Thrones makes interesting TV, which is an achievement to be applauded rather than attacked. Sure; it's exhausting, gratuitous, wildly sprawling and absurdly self-important (and I still maintain my belief that it does little to affirm life), but hey?


It's not perfect, but what is? 

7 comments:

  1. "whoever knew that the web contained so much misinformation?" - Paul Carlisle 2013

    :P

    I genuinely think that the weight of characters adds charm rather than takes it away. The tale is king here and all the characters are second to the story. I think it just feels busy because its rare that storytelling on this scale happens rarely.

    ++ Joe ++

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rare that this happens rarely?

      Delete
  2. Game of Thrones got last nights Radio Times Audience Award at the 2013 Bafta Television Awards.

    This was the only Bafta award actually decided by the viewing public, rather than industry insiders backslapping each other.

    It also has the dubious honour of being the most illegally downloaded TV show to date. It must be doing something right...


    As for reading/comments - I am fairly self selecting in what I read. Generally I read something that interests me at the time and only if I've got time available.

    I'm more likely to read something than listen or watch to a podcast or youtube vid though. I hate having to sit through 10 minutes of somebody waffling on, just to get the information I was after in a 15 second segment.

    Regards

    Gareth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've just been burned, lol.

      Delete
    2. 12.5 million people watch xfactor, 12.5 million people cant be wrong

      Delete
  3. hey man, switch off the great firewall of Carlisle. It slows down discussion.

    + >.< + JOOEEEE + >.< +
    ___ ___

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahoy there again man,

    I've just noticed that Wired are doing an episode by episode analysis and comparison with the book; here's the link for the last episode here in case you or any readers and lurkers were interested.

    ~!~ JOE ~!~

    ReplyDelete