Wednesday 16 March 2016

"...I FINALLY HAVE THEM. THE WORST OF THEM."

Amanda Waller (Suicide Squad)


Honestly, how many of these characters had you heard of before the marketing campaign?

So, just in case you hadn't heard already, DC are sneaking out a little film called Suicide Squad. The premise is simple, and may ring alarms for any Manga / Anime fans among you for its similarity to the Cyber City series. Amanda Waller, a shady government agent, has rounded up "a task force of the most dangerous people on the planet", hoping to coerce these villains (an assortment of DC's rouges gallery) into carrying out high-risk black-op missions in exchange for reducing the length of their incarceration. As a character by the name of Lawton / Deadshot surmises: "We're the patsies. We're some kind of suicide squad".

Precise plot details are still withheld.

It's an interesting idea. Does it matter that we haven't heard of most of them? No, in fact that leaves more space for interpretation- which is ideal. Captain Boomerang? Flag? Slipknott? El Diablo? Enchanteress? Not that I'm a huge DC fan, but have you heard of these? Could be some of these won't survive. Obviously, we get some DC big-guns to bolster them up; Joker, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc, Katana (I thought she was a hero, not a villain?). It's a choc-o-block roster, I'm concerned they may not all get a chance to shine.


Most of my reservations with Suicide Squad are purely aesthetic. I don't mind the trailer-park cyber-punk aesthetic, but here it just seems, I don't know, forced? Something about it doesn't feel sincere. Might be because everything else with the production is so glossy. It's a small nag. Although...


Hold on- what???

What the BLUE HELL are they doing with the Joker? I mean, I get that they need something that hasn't been done before, a hundred miles away from the Iconic Heath Ledger interpretation? But this? Grill teeth, tattoos, a gym-buff bod, purple leather overcoat and a silver cane- it's all very 'pimp'. Sure, it's different, but... Different isn't necessarily good. Good casting (excellent casting in fact), shit design. Maybe it'll work out in the film? Possibly, I don't have high hopes though. I try to be optimistic before cinema releases, but I do have limits. Just feels a little, er, desperate. A little try-hard? I got Joker as a dandy, I got Joker as a hobo, but pimp-my-ride Joker? This may take some adjusting on my part.

It's becoming something of a catch phrase but, let's wait and see...


4 comments:

  1. I actually read some issues of the comic back in the late 80s, so I'm less than thrilled. And once again, DC shows its fear of superhero costumes...
    Also, this is Captain Boomerang - http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/bigimages/boomerang.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the joker once said "nice outfit". When you say unimpressed, is that because you liked or disliked the comic?

      Delete
    2. I liked the comic. It was dark, but there was a humour to it. And it could also be silly to contrast the grim parts. This just looks cynical and nihilistic. Like Snyder's other works.

      Delete
    3. Technically it's not a Snyder film, although its intended to dove tail into his superman and batman film

      Delete