Saturday 5 September 2015

"THIS IS MY GIFT, MY CURSE... WHO AM I? SPIDERMAN!"

Peter Parker (Spiderman)


A pointless bit of theorising. I don't often allow myself this. It doesn't serve any purpose...

But.

I think we've missed the opportunity for a perfect Spiderman film now-days. I've seen all the perfect elements come together, half realised, and drift apart.


Something I photoshopped up. Am I right?

For my money, the perfect Peter Parker, in terms of casting, demeanor, and how the character would fit realistically into a modern setting, has already been pulled off. Sadly, not in a Spiderman film. Aaron Taylor-Johnson's portrayal of Dave Lizewski / Kick-Ass was bang on the money.

Emma Stone makes for a perfect Gwen Stacey, shame the Amazing Spiderman films couldn't do her character justice.

The suit itself has never looked better than in The Amazing Spiderman 2 (that's one hell of a design).

And lastly, can anyone think of a better casting call than Willem Defore as the Green Goblin? Sure, the suit / armor could have been miles better, but the casting itself? Perfect.

And who would I put in the directors chair? In my ideal world Alfons Cuaron would be a solid choice. His career so far involves the best of Harry Potter, Children of Men and Gravity. He understands budgets, character, and can serve up family-friendly and a way that doesn't trivialise or make the material stupid.

So there you have it. 'MY' Spiderman will never be...


The MCU alternative.

Admittedly, the Marvel Cinematic Universe now have the rights back for the Spiderman character, so Garfield is now out and relative unknown Tom Holland is set to take his place. Tom Holland looks to be a good fit (he's nearer the correct age, too), and the MCU does have a good track record, they're quite astute. Even their failures have been interesting... If anyone can do this character right, then surely it has to be Marvel themselves?

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment