Tuesday 8 July 2014

“SCREENWRITING IS THE MOST PRIZED OF ALL THE CINEMATIC ARTS. ACTUALLY, IT ISN'T, BUT IT SHOULD BE.”

Hugh Laurie




Not that it matters but I've been trying to post this for about a week now but my connection has been appalling…



This week, now that my life has attained some small measure of stability, I've commenced screenwriting full-time. That means I have less to do with this blogging lark now. I thought “what better way to draw a line under previous posts than by talking a little about what I’ll be doing.” It’s relevant (perhaps), interesting (to some), helpful (to me) and (shouldn’t) offend anybody.

From here on, 3 or 4 days a week, 8+ hours each day (that’s full time in most jobs) I’ll be cracking on with my writing. I hope to knock out a new script every 5 weeks or so, and while I appreciate creativity is no production line, it’s probably good practice to, as most experienced writers will tell you, “keep pumping it out”. I also have a lot of ideas I’m eager to start on, cultivated from the past 15 years of brain storming.


Weeks 1 & 2; ‘Preparation’.
I’ll work on the premise of the story, and at this point I’ll also structure the plot points, work out who the characters are, and how they impact on the story. By the time I’m done I’ll know the story from start to finish, and if I can't explain my story in a simple sentence then I probably don't understand it well enough.
“I became a script writer with absolutely no idea of how to write a script whatsoever. I still feel a bit of an outsider in that regard. If I can maintain that approach to screenwriting, it can continue to be enjoyable.” 
Nick Cave
Week 3 & 4; ‘First Pass’.
Now I’ll actually sit down and write the screenplay, all in the correct format. Even if something’s wrong, or may need changing, the trick here is to press on and finish the 1st draft. It’s at this point that any large problems with the story will begin to emerge. I’ll break my back trying to keep it under 120 pages- if my writing serves neither character nor story then it shouldn’t be in the final script.
“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
Ernest Hemmingway
Week 5; ‘Spit & Polish’.
This is the time I’ll spend going back over the 1st draft and fixing the big issues, as well as tweaking it in places and reworking the dialogue to achieve the best results possible. Then, on the 2nd or 3rd draft, it should be ready for sending away.
“Screenwriting is like ironing. You move forward a little bit and go back and smooth things out.”
Paul Thomas Anderson


That’s the plan anyway. Now it’s on the blog it feels pretty final. I'm hoping my first script is finished approximately 3 weeks from now.




The chance to try this is a dream-come-true for me, and I intend on giving it my all... And if I don’t succeed? Then at least I can say I gave it a damn good try, no harm done. Better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all, right? Everyone’s got something they know, deep down, they can do well- as for me, that’s always been writing and drawing...
I’m a better writer than I am a drawer.

I'll end on this note, a quote I've lifted straight from Syd Field's book 'The Definitive Guide To Screen Writing'. Truly, this book is the Bible for any aspiring screen writer- be sure to get yourself a copy if you’re interested.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

I'm nothing if not persistent...





Further reading? 'Psychology for Screenwriters', William Indick, Ph.D.



No comments:

Post a Comment