Saturday 14 December 2013

THIS IS THE END: Carlisle's Final Word

"I don't wanna die at James Franco's house."
Jay Baruchel.


Script Logic; 1/2

Pace; 2/2

Acting; 2/2

Aesthetic; 1/2

Originality & Intention; 2/2

Final Score; 8/10



I had really high hopes for this as the trailer left me chuckling, but in the back of my mind I kept on remembering how disappointed I usually am in Seth Rogen comedies; he's always likeable and humorous but I rarely bust-a-gut. So imagine how surprised I was to be genuinely thrilled, horrified and shocked by this unfairly-panned gem. I could be heard laughing out loud from start to finish, and I honestly don't remember the last time I enjoyed a comedy film this much (possibly because I have quite an odd sense of humor, 'gallows' some may call it). Finally, a horror comedy that remembers that the 'horror' parts still have to be played straight, not that they ever let scares get in the way of a good laugh! The danger is real, and the humor comes organically from the response. This has much more in common with Shaun of the Dead than it does Super Bad and its ilk.

When the cast of a film play 'themselves' that's usually a warning of "pretensions ahoy" (I can't remember the last time that was done successfully, has it ever?), but here the cast send themselves up with an enthusiasm that borders on career-suicide. These winging self-absorbed pre-maddonnas bicker over egos, argue about rations, botch scavenger hunts and succumb to sheer bloody panic when Hell literally opens up in the Hollywood Hills. That may sound like a terrible thing to watch (a bunch of spoilt rich people bickering for 100mins) but it's done so well and with so much charm that you actually begin to warm to these idiots. Hell, I was starting to hope they'd all escape alive...

Be warned though, the deaths are pretty gory at points, and you'll "oooohhh" as much as you'll laugh as familiar-faces cop-it in grisly fashion left-and-right (kudos to Michael Cera and Channing Tatum for their cameos, amongst others). The film never outlasts it's welcome while  successful peppering the run-time with decent gags (itself an achievement to be applauded), and although some of the CGI  looks a little fake towards the end, you'll be too engrossed to let it spoil your good time.

Could have done without the last 5 minute segment* (daft and undermining), but on the whole; well done Seth, Baruchel, McBride, Hill, Franco and Robinson.Shame you can't make a sequel...



*No, before you ask, it's not all a dream and they don't turn-back time.




No comments:

Post a Comment