Tuesday 3 December 2013

COMPLIANCE; Carlisle's Final Word



“You're fucked without bacon, I tell you that!”
Supplier.


If only I'd realised before now how easy it was to get laid...
Script Logic; 2/2 

Pace; 1/2

Acting; 2/2

Aesthetic; 1/2

Originality & Intention; 2/2

Final Score; 8/10



Not sure what to write about this; in parts I’ve been yelling at the screen in despair and frustration, and at other times I’ve been left totally speechless. I guess I need to put the film into some kind of context before I continue.

Compliance is the dramatization of events surrounding a disturbing true-life case of such galling stupidity that it’s almost impossible to believe that it ever really happened! Only in America… Now I totally understand why the Transformers franchise is worth so much. Honestly, after watching the film I was compelled to look into the story it was based on, convinced that what I’d just seen couldn’t possibly have happened (even in America), only to find the film had been entirely faithful and accurate to the source. In a word, staggering. 

While not a film anyone will necessarily ‘enjoy’, it’s well worth a watch. Brilliantly acted, although the faux-documentary style looks a little shoddy, and is probably a constraint of its meager budget. While the film’s content (humiliation and sexual abuse) is often difficult to watch, it will be the breath-taking ignorance of all involved that leaves the biggest and most lingering impression…





No comments:

Post a Comment