Saturday 2 November 2013

DRIVE ANGRY; Carlisle's Final Word.



“Thank you, Webster. I don't believe I'll be having that beer just now. Not unless I'm drinking it from Jonah King's skull.” 
Milton.



Driving Miss Daisy this is not.

Script Logic; 1/2

Pace; 1/2

Acting; 1/2

Aesthetic; 1/2

Originality & Intention; 2/2

Final Score; 6/10




Final Word: I think I knew what to expect when I watched the trailer, which I have to admit made me grin despite myself. It’s loud, obnoxious, trashy, inane, politically incorrect, but hey? That’s sort of the point. Nicholas Cage stars as Nicholas Cage (although, oddly, sometimes the other characters call him Milton), a typical leather-clad bad-ass who has, literally, driven out of Hell in a classic-car, in order to track down the man who killed his daughter and plans to sacrifice his grand child to Satan. Cage then hooks up with diner waitress Amber Heard (because all waitresses look like Playboy Bunnies in America) and is pursued by Satan’s agent ‘The Accountant’, played brilliantly by William Fichtner- who steals every scene he’s in and is undoubtedly the film’s highlight.
It’s exactly what you’d expect a film called Drive Angry to be- a combination of Mad Max, The Crow and every Meat Loaf music video ever made.
Unfortunately, the film has a predisposition for blatant misogyny and is a little too ‘nasty’ to ever truly be whole-heated fun, which is a shame because (if you’re in the right mood) there’s a lot on offer to laugh at.

No comments:

Post a Comment