Sunday 17 February 2013

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA; Carlisle's Final Word.



“The Order of the Dracul, the Dragon. An ancient society, pledging my forefathers to defend the church against all enemies of Christ. Their relationship was not entirely... successful.” 
Dracula.


Script Logic; 1/2 

Pace; 1/2

Acting; 1/2

Aesthetic; 2/2

Originality & Intention; 2/2

Final Score; 7/10




First of all, I have to say, this film is a visual treat. Everything from the sets to the costumes, from the creature designs to the actors themselves; everything is just sooo fucking gorgeous. I can’t recall ever being so immersed in the ‘dressing’ as I am with this film, I doubt any other film has ever looked so deliberately impressive.
Moving on. While the likes of Gary Oldman and (sir) Anthony Hopkins shine gloriously, the film suffers with the thespian styling of Keanu Reeves (dear God, what were they thinking?) and Winona Ryder - whom I usually like, but here is about as convincing as a breeze block trying to sneak into a penguins-only nightclub… A beautiful breeze block at least.
Also worth pointing out, the film does stay more closely to Bram Stoker’s text than any of the previous incarnations of the character, with the notable exception of a ‘romantic tryst’ between the titular Count and his would-be victim Mina Harker. This particular dalliance was probably what paved the way for the ‘new-look’ vampire, the romantic yet forlorn night dwellers the likes of which populated the works of Anne Rice and countless other fictions...
For better or worse, we now have Twilight.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever seen the BBC version with Louise Jordan? That sticks even closer to the source text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of it before now, but just looked it up. I like Frank Finley, I can see he'd make a good Van Helsing! I'll give it a watch- cheers.

    ReplyDelete